Categories: home health, face-to-face, homebound, CMS
The face-to-face encounter requirements may be satisfied by simply supplying copies of your progress notes, discharge summaries, or included in the orders for home health, if they include the following information:
- The patient's name
- The date of the face-to-face encounter with the patient
- The aspects of the patient's condition that make them homebound
- Normal inability to leave home; leaving home requires:
• a considerable and taxing effort
• the aid of assistive devices
- Absences from home are infrequent and of relatively short duration
- Church, barber and special, unique family events (funeral, graduation) are permitted.
- Not necessarily "bedbound"
- Example: "85 yo WF requires HHC due to considerable & taxing effort."
- The aspects of the patient's condition that necessitate skilled services by home health
- Reasonable AND necessary for the diagnosis and treatment of an injury or illness
- Warranted by the patient's current and documented medical condition
- Must include intermittent skilled nursing, physical therapy, speech therapy or continued occupational therapy.
- Example: "HHC/PT required due to need for skilled nursing and PT/OT."
- Your signature and date
The face-to-face encounter must occur between 90 days prior and 30 days after the start of home health care, and must be related to the reason for home health services.
We've put together a face-to-face quick reference card to help you document the CMS requirements efficiently. You can print it and keep it at your desk, or save it to your mobile device for convenient access.